|The need for a vessel that could cut through the ice and break the winter isolation in Modalen in Hordaland led to a decision by the Inner Hordaland Steamship Association in 1906 to build a vessel with a powerful engine and a strong hull. S/S "Oster" was delivered in 1908.
This vessel fulfilled its expectations as an icebreaker and sailed in regular service on the fjords round Osteroy for 56 years, interrupted only by patrol service under German command from 1940-45. In 1966 she was converted to diesel power and given a new name, "Vaka". Thirty years later "Vaka" was retired. She was taken over by the Nordhordland Veteran Boat Club and renamed "Gamle Oster". Over the years, the club carried out extensive renovations. She was converted back to steam power in 2000 and given her original name, "Oster".
S/S "Boroysund", another centenarian and a familiar feature in Oslo, has a permanent mooring near the City Hall. This vessel was delivered as S/S "Odin" in 1908 and served as a local passenger ferry in Trondelag until 1923. Renamed "Skjergar", she then ferried passengers for a couple of years in the Bergen skerries. From Bergen she moved north to Vesteralen, where she went into regular service for the Vesteraalen Steamship Company, under a new name, "Boroysund". In 1960 Hadsel Technical College acquired her as a training ship and gave her yet another name, "Hyma". In 1969, she was taken over by the Norwegian Veteran Ship Club in Oslo, which gave her back her old name, "Boroysund".
Johan Aro in Molde had been providing horse-drawn transport between Molde and Batnfjordsora when he was granted a licence in 1907 for motorised passenger transport along the same route. His first vehicle, built by Unic in France, went into service in 1908. It was replaced after four years, but continued to be useful for many years. It is said to have been used as a tractor at one time. Now a venerable pensioner, this vehicle can be seen in the Romsdal Museum.
The Thamshavn Line between Thamshavn and Lokken Verk in South Trondelag was opened in 1908 to transport ore from the Lokken mines, but it also carried passengers until 1963. The reorganisation of production at the Lokken mines in 1974 meant the end of the ore trains, but not the end of the Thamshavn Line. "Friends of the Thamshavn Line" was founded in 1982, and a year later on the 75th anniversary of the opening of the Line, the first museum train rolled on to the track. Now you can take the train from Lokken Verk to Bardshaug (25 km) and sit in the same carriages that were used in 1908. Subjects: S/S "Boroysund", S/S "Oster", Norway's first bus, the Thamshavn line.