philatelism.com terms of use | contact us | links | home
Search Stamps: search
results per page:                browse
21 August 2009
6/2009
Commemorative Issue

Lighthouses of Greece

Greece
Didimi Islet, Gaidouronisi, Syros  

Didimi Islet, Gaidouronisi, Syros

:

They say that it was built in 1834 by the "Otto's Royal Architect", Johann Erlacher. It is the first beacon on the Greek coast that can be called a lighthouse. Along with the Syros Customs House, it is Modern Greece's first public building.

Its beacon is round and, at 29 meters and 30 centimeters high, it is the tallest in the Greek lighthouse network. Its illumination can be seen for 18 nautical miles and its focal height is 68 meters. This lighthouse is located at the top of its namesake islet, Gaidouros, or Grados (called Didimi in ancient times), and is approximately 0.5 miles from Ermoupolis Harbor in Syros.

The building of the first Greek public lighthouse is abandoned today.

Source: Hellenic Post

Tourlitis, Andros  

Tourlitis, Andros

:

It first began operating on January 1st, 1897 with a beacon that could be seen for 11 nautical miles. It has a focal height of 21 meters and its round-shaped tower is 5 meters tall. It is located on its namesake rock left of the entrance into Andros harbor. In 1994, the Goulandris family made a donation so that the tower can be rebuilt in its original shape and since then it once again operates with automatic acetylene light.

It is the first automatic lighthouse in the Greek lighthouse network.

Source: Hellenic Post

Chania  

Chania

:

The Chania lighthouse is the oldest lighthouse still in operation and it not only still saves the greek shores but those in nearby mediterranean waters as well. In 1864, the lighthouse was operated by the Frensh Ottoman Lighthouse Company and operated with a beacon that shone for 7 nautical miles and with a focal height of 26 meters. Its tower is 18.2 meters tall and consists of three sections, each with a different cross-section, somewhat like minarets. It is located at the edge of the eastern seawall at the entrance of Chania's old harbor. It was included in the Greek lighthouse network in 1913 when Crete was incorporated into the modern Greek state. In 1933, it operated as a Fixed/F Red/R Lighthouse. Recently, the lighthouse's tower was reconstructed and is today a monument.

Source: Hellenic Post

Korakas, Paros  

Korakas, Paros

:

It began operating in 1887 with a beacon that had a range of 14 nautical miles. Its focal height is 60 meters and its tower is 6.6 meters tall. it is located on the south side of its namesake islet. it was included in the Greek lighthouse network in 1947 when the Dodecanese was incorporated into the Greek state. Since 1987, the lighthouse operates automatically. It now runs on solar energy and its beacon now shines for 17 nautical miles.

Source: Hellenic Post

Strongyli, Kastelorizo  

Strongyli, Kastelorizo

:

It began operating in 1887 with a beacon that had a range of 14 nautical miles. Its focal height is 60 meters and its tower is 6.6 meters tall. it is located on the south side of its namesake islet. it was included in the Greek lighthouse network in 1947 when the Dodecanese was incorporated into the Greek state. Since 1987, the lighthouse operates automatically. It now runs on solar energy and its beacon now shines for 17 nautical miles.

Source: Hellenic Post

Technical Information

Dimensions: 30mm x 38mm in sheets of 25
Design: Gissis Papageorgiou
Adaptation: Eleni Apostolou
Printing Method: Multicolored (Offset)
Printers: Giesecke & Devrient Matsoukis S.A.
Circulation: 1 year or until sold out
Quantities:
€0,01: 6.000.000
€0,57: 3.000.000
€0,70: 3.000.000
€1,00: 1.500.000
€4,20: 200.000
FDCs:
€8,40: 20.000
philatelism.com - Last Updated (UTC Time) - 2015-04-18 13:15:54
Design & Programming & Copyright © 2006-2017 Andreas Liverdos. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Use of this site implies acceptance of its terms of use. The text on this site does not necessarily represent the view or opinion of the site owner.